Gun Violence Prevention Committee
GUN VIOLENCE PREVENTION COMMITTEE
PURPOSE AND GOALS
“Every year, nearly 1,200 Michiganders are shot and killed with a firearm –
nearly 500 by gun homicide and nearly 700 by gun suicide.”
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The League of Women Voters Lansing Area-Gun Violence Prevention Committee meets monthly on the third Saturday of each month, 10:30am-12:00 noon at the East Lansing Public Library. Please note, our next meeting will be held Saturday March 14th. We hope you can join us!
Please note, our next meeting Saturday, March 14th has been cancelled.
To contact committee chair click here.
IN THE NEWS
Lansing Police Department receives grant to reduce gun violence, improve neighborhoods, reduce crime and promote neighborhood safety through community policing engagement opportunities such as LPD & Me Workshop, Hoop It Up, and Neighborhood Watch.
LWV-LA GVP-Lansing Police Dept Grant
GUN VIOLENCE PREVENTION COMMITTEE -- PURPOSE AND GOALS
1. Monitor actions within the Michigan Legislature and the U.S. Congress and evaluate against the standard of League of Women Voters-US gun control policies.
2. Communicate with League of Women Voters-Michigan Advocacy Chair and League of Women Voters-Lansing President(s) on gun control legislation introduced in the MI Legislature and US Congress with for or against stand.
3. Recommend ‘Alerts to Action’ for League of Women Voters-Lansing membership.
4. Educate League of Women Voters-Lansing members and the public on Gun Sense Legislation and Gun Violence Prevention Actions. Write and distribute educational briefs concerning current Gun Violence Prevention legislation and actions. Provide recommendations for speakers for designated League of Women Voters-Lansing events.
5. Collaborate and coordinate with local Lansing groups that also promote and support Gun Sense Legislation. Educate League of Women Voters-Lansing members on activities and actions of local Lansing groups that promote and support Gun Sense Legislation.
LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS-US -- POSITIONS ON GUN CONTROL
The LWVUS believes that the proliferation of handguns and semi-automatic weapons in the U.S. is a major health and safety issue to its citizens.
The LWVUS supports strong federal measures to limit the accessibility and regulate the ownership of these weapons by private citizens.
The LWVUS supports regulating firearms for consumer safety.
The LWVUS supports licensing procedures for gun ownership by private citizens to include a waiting period for background checks, personal identity verification, gun safety education and annual license renewal. The license fee should be adequate to bear the cost of education and verification.
The LWVUS supports a ban on “Saturday night specials,” enforcement of strict penalties for the improper possession of and crimes committed with handguns and assault weapons, and allocation of resources to better regulate and monitor gun dealers.
League of Women Voters-Lansing Area Luncheon – March 16th, Carol Siemon, Ingham County Prosecutor. Gun Violence Prevention and Criminal Justice Issues. NOTE: THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED.
League of Women Voters-Lansing Area Gun Violence Prevention Committee Monthly Meeting, Saturday, March 14th, 10:30am-12:00 noon at the East Lansing Public Library. NOTE: THIS MEETING HAS BEEN CANCELLED.
DID YOU KNOW…
Domestic Violence and Firearms. LWV-LA GVP Committee Article-Capitol Voter-Feb 2020
LWV-LA GUN VIOLENCE PREVENTION COMMITTEE BRIEFS
Gun Violence: Protecting Our Children LWV-LA GVP Brief-GunViolence-Protecting Our Children
Strength of Gun Laws Matter LWV-LA GVP Brief-Strength of Gun Laws Matter
LWV-MI ACTION AND ADVOCACY
COMMUNITY FORUMS (no links at this time)
LUNCH WITH THE LEAGUE (no links at this time)